A Walking Tour of Salem Massachusetts
Also Known as “The Witch City” (but don’t let residence hear you say this)
News from Salem City Government
- Because of the Current
- Salem has a Strict City Ordiiance that mandates the use of Face masks when in public places, stores, restaurants and Salem Attractions.
Message from our Exective Producer about the Salem Walking tour
Its Recommended to drive this route times that the walking Period are long, to reach a few locations, however most of the locations are in the downtown area and are easy walking with flat sidewalks. If you feel you are unable to handle this stay in downtown Salem area there maybe streets and roads that are one way or closed off (dead end streets- None). I used google maps to map the directions to the different stops, these are maybe best by bike most sties are downtown Salem but there are site that will take you about an hour or more to get to
** Resources are located at the bottom of this Page
Table Of Content
|Stop #1||Gallows Hill Museum/Theatre –(7 Lynde St,)||$||Yes|
|Stop #2||Witch Dungeon Museum||$||yes|
|Stop #3||The Witch House (310 Essex Street)||$||yes|
|Stop #4||First Church of Salem||????||yes|
|Stop #5||Ropes Mansion (318 Essex street) (Hocus Pocus Filming Site)||$ (Gardens Free)||yes|
|Stop #6||Hamilton Hall (9 Chestnut Street)||????||yes|
|Stop #7||The Stephen Phillips House||$||Not Available|
|Stop #8||Friends Meeting House & FRIENDS BURIAL GROUND ESSEX ST. CEMETERY||No Entry||yes|
|Stop #9||Proctor’s Ledge||Free||yes|
|stop #10||The Pickering House||????||Not Available|
|Stop #11||Broad Street Cemetery –(5 Broad)||Free||Not Available|
|Stop#12||Max and Dina House- (4 Ocean Ave) (Hocus Pocus Filming Site)||No Entry||yes|
|Stop #13||Pioneer Village (Hocus Pocus Filming Site)||$||yes|
|Stop #14||Hawthorne Hotel||????||Not Available|
|Stop#15||The Phillips Elementary School (Hocus Pocus Filming Site)||No Entry||Not Available|
|Stop #16||The Salem Common’s (Hocus Pocus Filming Site)||FREE||Not Available|
|Stop# 17||Salem Witch Museum||$||Not Available|
|Stop #18||Salem Maritime National Historic Site, 160 Derby St||????||Not Available|
|Stop #19||The House of the Seven Gables, 115 Derby St,||$||Not Available|
|Stop #20||Peabody Essex Museum||$||Not Available|
|Stop #||Wynotts Wands Shop||$ (Store)||Not Available|
BY TRAIN FROM SALEM STATION (NEWBURYPORT/ROCKPORT LINE),
** START OF SALEM WALKING TOUR **
Directions to Salem Massachusetts
- MBTA Bus #450
- Train (MBTA Commuter Rail from Boston North Station on Newburyport/Rockport Line
- MBTA Commuter rail (View fare information)To Salem, Ma.
Walk to end of station platform and climb stairs to top, or handicap citizens can use the MBTA glass elevator located inside parking garage glass waiting area, before stairs and take elevator to top of stairs, exit glass elevator take left turn to street (be careful wait for crossing light – busy roadway) Cross street to middle island and wait again for next crossing light) cross at this light and walk two blocks of Washington Street to right turn on Lynde street, Walk up Lynde street to 10 Lynde Street stop #1
Stop #1 Gallow Hills Museum & Theatre
Address: 7 Lynde St, Salem, MA
Description: This is our main event at Gallows Hill. You can also add this show to almost any special event in October. See event pages for combo tix! Using Holograms, ghostly projections, rumble seats, 4D effects and more, Gallows Hill brings to life what the Puritans feared: Witches and Ghosts! The Main Show is an interactive, exciting, and immersive way to learn about the history and terror of the Salem Witch Trials.
Recommended By Touring New England.Org: Yes, We saw main show in the theatre, but asked to tell you about the show by owners of the bussiness, he would love to have you come see for yourself, he tells us he plans to add more stuff shortly and will be open the whole month of October 2020 for you to come visit ….
Main Show Tickets: Available at the front desk
Adults: $15 Child: $10 (7-13 years)
Gallows Hill Presents: The Lost Museum
Adults: $15 Child (ages 7-13)$10
SAVE $6 when you purchase combo tickets for The Lost Museum and the Gallows Hill Main Show! Select the combo ticket when purchasing.
Stop #3- The Witch House- Judge John Corwin House
Admission Fee (8/29/20) $5 – $9
Website: The Witch House- Judge John Corwin House
8/29/20 TICKETS MUST BE PURCHASED IN ADVANCE
*THE WITCH HOUSE IS LOCATED AT 310 1/2 ESSEX STREET*
This house is said to be Really Hunted
The Witch House is one of Salem’s top historic tourist locations and among Salem’s most famous homes and best places to visit. Why? Because the stately house, built in 1642, offers direct ties to the Salem Witch Trials. This distinction differentiates the house from any other existing structure in Salem.
Referred to as a “first-period house” because Witch House was built during the period of time when the first settlement of European people came to the United States – the early 1600s to the early 1700s. Among other It’s important to note the Witch House never actually had any convicted or accused witches living there. The home’s fame is forever tied to the Salem Witch Trials because its then-owner, Judge Jonathan Corwin, was among several judges directly presiding over the notorious trials. Corwin resided in The Witch House during the warped-and-tarnished trials.
Corwin, along with his wife Elizabeth Gibbs and their 10 children, lived in the house for more than 40 years in total. The house has subsequently made an impact on generations of visitors as one of Salem’s must-visit locations ever since.
Characteristics, first-period houses have steeply pitched roofs
(Directions to next stop)
Walk up Essex Street to big white house (The Ropes Mansion)
Continue up Essex street to stop #4
Stop #4 -PEM-Ropes Mansion
- (Used in 1993 Disney film “Hocus Pocus) as Allison House
- This house is said to be Really Hunted: by Mr Ropes and his Daughter(Died by fire)
FREE Garden Access
The Ropes Mansion (late 1720s), also called Ropes Memorial, is a Georgian Colonial mansion located at 318 Essex Street, located in the McIntire Historic District in Salem, Massachusetts. It is now operated by the Peabody Essex Museum and opens to the public.
The house was built for Samuel Barnard, a merchant. In 1768, Judge Nathaniel Ropes, Jr., purchased the house from Barnard’s nephew. The Ropes family then inhabited the house until 1907, when the house was given to the Trustees of the Ropes Memorial for public benefit.
Although altered through the years and then restored, the house looks much like its original form, with a symmetrical facade of two stories, three small pedimented gables through the roof, roof balustrade, and modillion cornice. (Compare it to the Crowninshield-Bentley House and the Peirce-Nichols House, also in Salem.) In 1807, however, its interior was extensively renovated. In the mid-1830s five rooms and the central hall were remodeled, and today’s doorway installed (with details inspired by Asher Benjamin‘s pattern book. In 1894 the house was moved away from the street and further modified internally. A large, fine garden was added behind the house in 1912. rose garden and coy fish pond. The Ropes Mansion was featured in the 1993 Disney film “Hocus Pocus”as Allison House, where Allison parents are having a Holloween party and Max & Dani Dennison ask Allison to take them to the Sarah Sanderson house and Max Dennison lights the white (black flame candle) which brings the Sarah Sanderson back to life after 360 years to the day.
(Directions to next stop)
Cross street to Cambridge street to end of street to cross street to next stop
Stop #5- Hamilton Hall
Hamilton Hall: 9 Chestnut Street
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hamilton Hall is a National Historic Landmark at 9 Chestnut Street in Salem, Massachusetts. Designed by noted Salem builder Samuel McIntire and built in 1805–07, it is an excellent instance of a public Federal style building. It was built as a social space for the leading families of Salem, and was named for Founding Father and Federalist Party leader Alexander Hamilton. It continues to function as a social hall today: it is used for events, private functions, weddings and is also home to a series of lectures that originated in 1944 by the Ladies Committee.
Hamilton Hall is a three-story brick structure at the corner of Chestnut and Cambridge Streets, with its gable end front facing Cambridge Street. The brick is laid in a Flemish bond pattern. The entrance facade is five bays wide, with a center entry consisting of double doors sheltered by a Greek Revival porch added c. 1845. This rectangular portico has a flat roof, supported at each corner by two Doric columns. The first floor of the long side (facing Chestnut Street) consists of six bays, of which five are windows and one is a door. The upper level (equal in height to the upper two levels on the front facade) consists of five large Palladian windows set in a slightly recessed arch. Above each of these is a panel with decorations carved by McIntire. The outer four have a swag design, while the central one features an eagle and shield.
Construction of the hall was funded by a group of Salem’s Federalist merchant families, and cost $22,000. Originally, retail spaces at the entrance on the ground floor housed vendors who sold goods for use in the events held in the upstairs function space. The second level ballroom features an unusual curved balcony and a sprung floor suitable for dancing.
The building was declared a National Historic Landmark and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1970. It is a contributing property to the Chestnut Street District, and part of the local McIntire Historic District, in which a high concentration of McIntire’s works are found.
(Directions to next stop)
Take left turn at Hamilton Hall on to Chestnut Street for 0.2 mile (3 mins) walk to Stop #6-The Phillips House
Stop #6-The Phillips House
- Address : 34 Chestnut Street
- Admission Fee : $15 adults , $13 seniors and students, $7 children
The Stephen Phillips House is a historic house and museum located in the McIntire Historic District in Salem, Massachusetts, United States and was designed by Samuel McIntyre.
Phillips House began with Elias Hasket Derby, one of America’s first self-made millionaires from the sea trade. When he died in 1799, his daughter, Elizabeth and her husband, Captain Nathaniel West, inherited his farm in Danvers, Massachusetts. They built a country house on the property, sparing little expense. A grand estate was in the making. In 1806, shortly after the house was completed, a divorce forced Nathaniel off the property. After Elizabeth died in 1814, the house was left to her three daughters. When one of the daughters died in 1819, Nathaniel inherited one-third of the estate. He proceeded to move four rooms to Salem, the museum’s present location. At that time, he added a hallway, a third floor, and a back ell section. In 1911, Stephen W. Phillips bought the house, moving in with five generations of family furnishings. He lived in the house until his death in 1955. The house remains as it was at that time, containing an eclectic collection representing the Phillips’s extensive travels.
The Phillips House is now owned and operated as a historic house museum by Historic New England and is open for public tours. The house was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.
(Directions to next stop)
walk to end of street turn right onto flint street
EXTRA STOP (ADD PICTURE)
On corner of Flint and Essex street is a Brick Building belong to the The Stephen Phillips Memorial Scholarship Fund office
Read More Here https://phillips-scholarship.org/
Extra stop: The Quaker Meeting House & Friends Burial Ground-(ADD PICTURE)
Continue on Chestnut Street take Right on to flint street at Essex Street, walk to 398 Essex Street (blue color house) to it right is a Friends Burial Ground (Quaker Cemetery) which dates back to the 1702. The Quaker Meeting House has seen many uses over the past 170 years but currently serves hosts a dental office on the first floor with private residential space above. The stewards of this historic property have freshly renovated the living spaces in a soothing palette, while lovingly restoring the mid-19th century architectural details such as high ceilings, decorative fireplaces, clawfoot bathtub and shower, as well as intricate crown molding and elegant staircases. Guests will enjoy modern amenities such as WiFi, large-screen/HDTVs, and cable in the living room and three of four bedrooms. A clothes washer/dryer is on the third floor for your convenience
website for Quakers Burial ground [ Click Here ]
The list of graves (from FIndAGrave) indicates the common Quaker names of Buffum, Southwick, Maule, Chase, Northey, Nichols, and more.
(Directions to next stop)
take left turn right on to Boston Street continue on Boston street till you see the Walgreens pharmacy turn left to Pope street go up street to stop #7- Proctor’s Ledge
Stop #7 Proctor’s Ledge
Proctor’s Ledge Memorial, Salem, Mass
Proctor’s Ledge Memorial is a memorial dedicated to the 19 people who were hanged during the Salem Witch Trials in Salem, Mass. The memorial is at the base of Proctor’s Ledge, which is the location were the executions took place during the trials.
The memorial consists of a semi-circular granite wall with 19 stones engraved with the names and execution dates of the nineteen victims. A small oak tree, which symbolizes endurance and dignity, marks the center of the memorial.
The victims honored at the memorial are:
Convicted of Witchcraft in 1692:
Bridgit Bishop – Ran a tavern on the Beverly Road. Her tavern had an unsavory reputation. She allowed young me to loiter there and play shovel-board. Her neighbors were quick to notice whenever she allowed a customer to stay past closing time. She liked to wear flashy clothes – bright gowns decorated with lace – which were an affront to Puritan Salem. She flirted with men and the women were jealous of her. Bridgit had a sharp tongue, and people were willing to believe anything against her. She had a reputation of being able to heal people with herbs from her garden. Age: mid 50’s. Tried: June 2,1692. Hanged: June 10,1692.
George Boroughs – Minister of Wells, Maine; he had be Minister of Salem Village from 1680-1683. Age: 42. At his execution he recited The Lord’s Prayer, and the crowd wanted to free him because “No wizard could repeat the Lord’s Prayer . . . ” However, Cotton Mather, who was present for the execution, convinced the crowd that it was just a trick of the Devil. Tried: August 2,1692. Hanged, August 9.
Martha Carrier – of Andover. Mary Lacey, one of her accusers, swore that she and Martha rode on a stick when they went to a witches’ meeting in Salem. Martha’s seven year old daughter also testified against her. Martha had a reputation for practicing witchcraft. Age: mid to late 40’s. Tried: August 2. Hanged: August 9.
Giles Corey – simple uneducated farmer, he had been in trouble with the law before and had many enemies. He took an interest in the hearings when they began, and he was soon accused of wizardry and examined. He refused to answer the charges, and he could not be tried unless he entered a plea. By refusing to enter a plea, he hoped to protect his property from seizure. In order to force him to enter a plea, the authorities ordered that he be pressed with heavy stones. Age: 80. Corey was pressed to death on September 19,1692. He never did enter a plea.
Martha Corey – wife of Giles. She had laughed at the girls’ afflictions; she didn’t believe in such foolishness. She voiced her doubts, and the girls soon accused her. She had an unimpeachable reputation for piety, and the authorities did not want to arrest her unless the evidence against nor was overwhelming. At her hearing she insisted that she was a “Gospel Woman.” Her husband, Giles, unwittingly testified against her by mentioning several uncommon accidents that had occurred since he had married her. Age: unknown. Tried: September 6,1692. Hanged: September 22, 1692.
Mary Easty – of Topsfield. Rebecca Nurse’s sister, she was known to everyone as a saintly woman. At her preliminary exam, she maintained her innocence with such candor and conviction that Judge Hathorne asked the afflicted girls if they were sure of their accusation. The girls wavered, and Easty was released. However, upon her release the girls renewed their accusations and Easty was re-arrested. As she awaited execution, she petitioned the Court of Oyer and Terminer and the Essex County ministers to stop the trials so that no more innocent blood would be shed. Age: mid to late 50’s. Tried: September 6,1692. Hanged: September 22.
Sarah Good – homeless woman; her husband “worked ’round” wherever help was needed. His family went with him and slept in the barn wherever he worked. When there was no work, Sarah begged from farm to farm. Many people in Salem did not like her sharp tongue – she scolded anyone who did not give her money or used clothing. Some believed that she had carried smallpox when the epidemic had swept the village a few years before. There was also a fear that she may set a house or barn afire with the careless disposal of her pipe. Age: mid to late 30’s. Tried: June 28,1692. Hanged July 19th.
Elizabeth Howe – of Ipswich; accused by her neighbors. She had been suspected of being a witch for many years before the hysteria. Much of the evidence against her went back over ten years; several incidents involved accidents and illnesses that affected the livestock of her neighbors. Age: 55. Tried: June 28,1692. Hanged: July 19,1692
George Jacobs Sr. – Hateful neighbors accused him. At first he treated his arrest lightly and laughed out loud at the absurdity of the questions. His granddaughter was convinced to confess that she was a witch and George a wizard. She later retracted her testimony and confession, but it was too late. Age: 76. Tried: August 2,1692. Hanged: August 19th. According to family tradition, he was taken from a criminal’s grave and re-buried on his Danversport farm.
Susanna Martin – of Amesbury; accused of flying to Newborn on a broomstick. What was the evidence? She arrived at her friend’s house with no trace of mud on her shoes, so she had to have flown there through the air. The Martin household was frequently disrupted by violent quarrels between her husband and son. Age: late 60’s. Tried: June 28,1692. Hanged: July 19,1692.
Rebecca Nurse – a pious deeply religious woman; a loving mother who had raised four sons and four daughters. Some of the neighbors were jealous because the Nurse family had prospered. They had a fine 300 acre farm and a sturdy farmhouse. Thirty-nine people of the neighborhood signed a testimony on her behalf. Partly deaf, she could not follow her own trail well enough to answer properly. She was originally found not guilty, but the judges forced the jury to reconsider, and the verdict was changed to guilty. Age: 70. Tried: June 28. Hanged: July 19,1692. The Nurse family took her body in secret to bury in their own family cemetery. Info website about Renecca Nurse [click here]
Sarah Osbourn – had not attended church on the Sabbath for over a year. She was supposed to be ill, but some in the congregation insisted that she was perfectly able to get to the meeting house. Villagers resented how she and her second husband, an indentured servant whom she had purchased, tried to gain control of her first husband’s land. Age: late 40’s. Died in prison in 8oston in May of 1692.
Alice Parker – of Salem Town, wife of a mariner. She faced the usual accusations: “someone felt sick after she had visited,” “she sent an animal to attack an enemy” etc. Age: unknown. Tried: September 6,1692. Hanged: September 22,1692.
Mary Parker – of Andover. Age: early 60’s. Tried: September 6,1692. Hanged: September 22, 1692.
John Proctor – successful and prosperous, he spoke out against the hysteria. His serving girl, Mary Warren, was one of the afflicted”. When he ordered her to stop the foolishness of accusing people and threatened to beat her, she stopped her fits – until the other girls accused his wife Mary. When he defended his accused wife, he was arrested too. Despite the petition signed by many prominent citizens of Salem and Ipswich, he was convicted. Tried: August 2,1692. Hanged August 19,1692.
Ann Pudeator – a widow, several of the afflicted girls claimed that Ann had tormented them, that she had admitted killing her first husband and his first wife, and that she had caused the death of two sick women. She protested in a petition to the judges that one of those who had given evidence against her had formerly been convicted and whipped as a liar. Age: mid to late 50’s. Tried: September 16,1692. Hanged: September 22,1692.
Wilmot “Mamm ” Reed – of Marblehead; she had the reputation of being the town witch. In a dispute with a woman of Salem Town, Reed, in the presence of witnesses, pronounced a curse upon her. The woman became ill. Age: mid 50’s. Tried: September 6,1692. Hanged: September 22, 1692.
Margaret Scott – of Rowley. Age: unknown. Tried September 6,1692. Hanged: September 22, 1692.
Samuel Wardell – of Andover; at his preliminary exam, he confessed himself as a wizard, but he renounced this at his trial. At his execution, as he spoke to the people proclaiming his innocence, tobacco smoke from the executioner’s pipe interrupted his protestations. The crowd believed that the Devil had hindered him with the smoke. Age: unknown. Tried June 28,1692. Hanged: September 22,1692.
Sarah Wild – of Tospfield, she was accused by a spiteful neighbor who sought revenge on her son, the Topsfield constable and by a village woman who had a reputation as a simple-minded person. The latter withdrew her accusation, but it was too late. Age: early 60’s. Tried June 28,1692. Hanged: July 19,1692.
John Willard – as a deputy constable, Willard arrested the first group of suspects but soon expressed his opinion that the “afflicted” girls were the ones that should be hanged. He resigned as constable. Soon the girls cried out against him. His in-laws testified against him. Age: 37. Tried: August 2,1692. Hanged August 19,1692.
(Directions to next stop)
Got to end of Pope street and take right turn onto Proctor Street and walk to back side of Proctor’s Ledge, take a walk around the proctor’s ledge area- (Beware- after dark, do not enter this area (police will be call.. if you are found in this area at that time)
Follow Directions Below to 4 Ocean Ave
goto end of Pope Street And take a left to Boston Street. follow Boston street turn left onto Essex street turn left onto Jackson street turn right onto Francis Rd Continue straight onto Bertuccio Ave turn right onto Jefferson Ave, Slight left to stay on Jefferson Ave turn left onto Loring Ave
turn left onto lafayette street, turn right onto Ocean Ave walk to end of strreet to see ocean 4 ocean ave is a white house by sea wall
Stop #9 Pioneer Village
Follow Directions to Continue straight onto shore Ave. to west ave turn onto the ball park on left to behind the fields you will see a wooden walkway to enter Pioneer Village
Pioneer Village, a recreation of early-colonial Salem, was used for the opening scenes set in 1693
Other locations included Old Burial Hill in Marblehead, where Max is accosted by Ice and Jay, the Old Town Hall in Salem, where the town Halloween party takes place, and Phipps Elementary School, where the witches are trapped in a kiln.
( I stopped there) take first right onto Rt 107 (A Bit of a walk back to downtown- but not bad- Salem) North (Bridge Street) to MBTA railroad Station Take Right turn onto Washington street
Stop #8- Where the Witches Were Tried
Address 72 Washington St., Salem, MA ( Next to Salem Bike Shop)
Downtown. On the west side of Washington St. just south of its intersection with Lynde St. You’ll see a building with three stone arches; the plaque is mounted just to the left of the left-most arch.
An old plaque, blackened and corroded with time, is bolted to the outside wall of the Salem Masonic Temple. It helpfully points out that “nearly opposite this spot,” in the middle of what is now Washington Street, stood the courtroom where most of the Salem witches were tried and condemned to death in 1692. The plaque pays particular attention to Giles Corey, who was “pressed to death” for refusing to plead guilty or not guilty. There’s no explanation as to why Giles is singled out; maybe the mysterious Masons just respected his ability to keep a secret.
WALK AHEAD TO WASHINGTON STREET to Stop #10 in Lappin Park
Stop #9 – Elizabeth Montgomery Bewitched Statue
After some controversy, the Bewitched statue donated by TV Land was officially dedicated on June 15, 2005. The statue depicts actress Elizabeth Montgomery astride a broom and framed by a moon crescent. We thought it would be bigger, but it’s a nice, goofy sculpture in small, neatly manicured Lappin Park on Essex and Washington Sts.
Salem business owners seemed pretty happy about the addition, since it’s attracting the idle curious (us?) in droves. The 1960s show featured four episodes set in Salem, and one museum owner attributed the resurgence of interest in Salem back then to Bewitched.
Bystanders were joking about whether the statue’s nose twitches or not, and we realized a statue-rubbing protocol hadn’t yet been established. We delivered a quick and respectful burnishing of Samantha’s nose.
head up two blocks on Washington Street to stop #10
Stop # 10 – Joshua Ward House
The Joshua Ward House is a historic house at 148 Washington Street in Salem, Massachusetts. The three-story Federal style brick house, built in 1784, is one of the first brick houses in Salem. Its interior woodwork was done by noted Salem builder and woodworker Samuel McIntire, including an original staircase that is the oldest surviving staircase created by him. George Washington is reported to have specifically requested staying in this house when he visited Salem in 1789.
The building has an austere brick exterior laid in Flemish bond. Its four chimneys were damaged by storms in its early years, and again in the 1938 New England Hurricane. The house was used in the 19th century as a tavern. It was built on the same site as the former home of Sheriff George Corwin, famously associated with the Salem witch trials.
The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978, and included in the Downtown Salem District in 1983.
In 2015 it was turned into a hotel.
Click here to find out more [click Here] to find out about its hunted
Cross Washington street and walk back towards the Elizabeth Montgomery Bewitched Statue at Elizabeth Montgomery Bewitched Statue turn right on to Essex Street for two block to
[stop #11] Count Orlok’s Nightmare Gallery & Monster Museum (217 Essex St. Salem, MA) to
Stop #11-Count Orlok’s Nightmare Gallery & Monster Museum
What a great museum for horror fans! Soooo bummed that no photography was allowed… so many great photo ops! We got to sit and watch a pieced-together silent movie of starring Lon Chaney, even though the movie had been lost. I was able to snap a photo of the greeter because he was at the front desk.
[ Stop #12] The Salem Museum- *Old Salem Town Hall $
(Used in 1993 Disney film (“Hocus Pocus)
- [ Stop #13] Witch History Museum $
- [ Stop #14] The Magic Parlor (store)
Stop #15 Peabody Essex Museum
At the extraordinary Peabody Essex Museum, you can see collections of maritime art, American decorative arts, and historical and contemporary arts from China, Japan, Korea, India, Africa, North America, and the Pacific Islands. Perhaps most outstanding is the chance to explore inside the Huang family’s two-century-old ancestral home, brought here and reassembled from China’s Huizhou region.
Also part of the Peabody complex are several historic houses open to visitors, including the 1684 John Ward House; the 1727 Crowninshield-Bentley House; and the brick Gardner-Pingree House (1804), with an elegant interior including work by master builder Samuel McIntire.
Address: 161 Essex Street, Salem, Massachusetts
Continue up Essex street Stop #12 turn right on central street turn on to charter
street to stop #16 – The Salem Witch Trials Memorial
In the center is a simple patch of grass and locust trees, which are thought to be the type of tree that may have been used for the hangings. A dirt path runs beside the benches for visitors to walk and reflect.
Silently watching from just over the wall are the gravestones in the adjacent Old Burying Point Cemetery, the oldest cemetery in Salem and one of the oldest in the United States. Among the interred are witch trials magistrates John Hathorne and Bartholomew Gedney.
The Salem Witch Trials Tercentenary Committee was established by the Mayor of the City of Salem on April 22, 1986, with a principle intention of creating a permanent memorial to the victims of the witch trials.
A public design competition, juried by five noted professionals, resulted in 246 entrants. The winning entry, designed by Maggie Smith and James Cutler of Bainbridge Island, Washington, was presented to the press and public by renowned playwright Arthur Miller on November 14, 1991. Among the notable works by Miller is The Crucible, which used the Salem Witch Trials as an allegory for the McCarthyism of the late 1940s and early 1950s.
The Witch Trials Memorial was dedicated on August 5, 1992 by Nobel Laureate, Holocaust survivor, and author Elie Wiesel, who noted, “If I can’t stop all of the hate all over the world in all of the people, I can stop it in one place within me,” adding, “We still have our Salems.”
This quiet and peaceful memorial, located in the very center of Salem, provides a place for people to pay their respects, to reflect on tolerance and understanding, and to remember the inspiring stories of personal courage revealed in 1692.
24 Liberty Street, next to the Old Burying Point Cemetery
Stop #17 The Old Burying Point Cemetery
Is it real? Yes! Charter Street Cemetery dates back to 1637. The oldest known gravestone dates to 1673.What’s the oldest stone? The Cromwell stone marks the earliest known burial at the cemetery.Doraty Cromall died in 1673. It isavery simply designed stone and can be found near her husband Philip’s (1693) stone.1What happened to the stones between 1637 and 1673?The earliest New England grave markers were made of wood. Following English custom, graves were marked with what were called “coffin rails.”2These wooden markers would have deteriorated over time.What are the stones made of? A lot of thestonesare slate. There are also sandstone markers (kind of a reddish-browncolor), schist (similar to slate but more granular), and there are a few marble markers (those are white and newer).Gravestone RubbingGravestone rubbing is not permitted in any of Salem’s historic cemeteries.Which graves are related to the Salem Witch Trials? Mary Corey, d. 1684, was the first wife of Giles Corey, who was accused in the Witchcraft Hysteria, and who was pressed to deathfor not entering a plea. John Hathorne, d. 1717, was one of the judges of the witchcraft trials and an ancestor of Nathaniel Hawthorne.Are the witches buried here? The innocent people who were accused and executed during the Witchcraft hysteria did not receive Christian burials. Their bodies were cast into a pit or shallow grave by the gallows. Family histories say that some people came back under dark of night to claim their relatives’bodies and give them unmarked graves at their homes.
(after visit turn right onto liberty street to left)
Stop #18 – The Salem Witch Village
Stop #19 The Salem Wax Museum
turn onto durby street to Lafayette street go past Lafayette Park (looks like a common) past Saltonstall School go 4 blocks to turn onto Ocean street (2 blocks down street to 4 ocean street to
Stop #20 Max and Dina House
This House is a Private home- Please Dont Disturb the owners and Stay Off front Porch
Continue up shore Ave to West Ave (find baseball park) behind park is Take a left onto West Avenue and follow the road straight into Forest River Park. Pioneer Village is on the left-hand side as you are facing the ocean.
when leaving Pioneer Village parking lot accross street to west street goto end of west st to right turn onto Lafayette street Continue on rt 114 to harbor street to congerss streetto durby street then take a right turn to
[stop #21] Salem Pioneer Village- (4 West Ave Salem, Ma)
when leaving Pioneer Village parking lot accross street to west street goto end of west st to right turn onto Lafayette street Continue on rt 114 to harbor street to congerss streetto durby street then take a right turn to
stop #17 Salem Maritime National Historic Site
after visit turn right out of museum area back on durby st to 3 blocks to
stop#18 The House of Seven Gables
leaving stop #18 turn left on durby street to
stop#19Salem Custom House
turn onto orange street right onto essex street to
stop #20 Narbonne-Hale House left turn onto Washington square E at Salem Commons turn left to
stop #21 Max high school
where max teacher tells the kids about hollowness in Salem and max does not believe in it because he from California and he gives one of the classmates a note with his telephone number on it, it also the same place were max and his sister Dani and Allison from school trick the Sanderson sisters, Winifred, Sarah, and Mary, the Salem commons are also used in the movie where Allison gives max his telephone number back
Friends We Met While Visiting Salem Massachusetts
After using the above info on the salem witch trials, heres some links to YouTube videos . i will let you make your own choise if this really happen or not back in 1692 and what really started this whole
- Marilynne K. Roach– Trials: A Day-by-Day Chronicle of a Co
- google map of Salem for walking tour
- the Salem Witch Trials Documentary Archive
- Most Haunted Places in Salem Massachusetts
- house of seven gables. book PDF from Library of congress
- 7 Creepiest SALEM GHOST STORIES & Haunted Places
- The Haunting Of The Salem Witch Trials
- Mysteries Decoded S01E06 The Witches of Salem
- The Burning Times | The History of Witches Part 1
- The Salem Witch Trials (1692-1693) //Documentary//
- In Search of History: Salem Witch Trials 1998 FULL MOVIE *HD*
- Take a tour-Salem Witch house. 1600’s era house of Jonathan Corwin.
- salem pioneer vallage Map link
- Ghost Hunter Team Listing
- Haunted Salem: Strange Phenomena in the Witch City (Haunted Series) Book From Amazon. com
- Salem Chamber of Commerce
House where female Child blesses Witches done in Los Angeles, California (Confirmed) Guest Stars Penny Marshell (as Meduse lady & Garry Marshell (Penny Marshall Real Brother)(Played the Devil (Husband)